MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. This is a detailed guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the 3 components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers to the elements of C and N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MXenes material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be utilized in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually are the etching treatment of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are popular in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to enhance the action and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with the continuous progress of science and technology and the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. The following aspects may become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques may be further explored to understand a more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the material could be studied and improved in depth to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been popular in numerous fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to become explored. Later on, they could be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.